Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Back Stack: June 20, 2012


Welcome back to The Back Stack.  I apologize for missing last week, but life happens sometimes.  If I’m quick writing this, I apologize, but I was running late on this week’s edition as it was.  In addition, many of my micro-reviews are going to be far more clean and to the point than usual because it was a HEAVY week last week and there is a lot to cover.  Sadly, it wasn’t a particularly memorable week and I feel the words “missed opportunity” fits perfectly for many books.

In addition, I’m sorry to say, but I missed last week’s new Incredible Hulk and TMNT Color Classics, but I hope to pick them up this week and throw them in for my review for the next Back Stack, even if it somewhat defeats the purpose.  Also, in the previous week’s would have been Back Stack, the only book that stood out to me on a big degree was Avengers Academy.  It was fun and kept dynamics in other books going while not robbing the Academy students of their time.  It was well balanced and I’d recommend it most out of the books I would have covered last week.

But for now, let’s begin, and as always, SPOILER ALERT!

Amazing Spider-Man #687 ends a story arc on an epic scale and was a worthy follow-up to Spider-Island in my opinion.  The only downside is that this arc didn’t end on the same high note, there are some emo bits, and how Spider-Man actually wins can only be described as “par for the course.”  Don’t get me wrong, it wraps things up nicely and leaves an opening as to the fate of Rhino and Silver Sable, but compared to Spider-Island, this one didn’t have the same fulfilling end.  And… I’m guessing this IS the end story of Ends of the Earth, because next issue will be rolling right into a new story arc involving The Lizard and Morbius (at least I think).  Still, there was some fun to be had here and if you like Spidey, this one is pretty decent.

Verdict – Recommended

Avengers #27 was… bad.  I’ve been a fan of the Protector and I liked the idea of his conflicting feelings between Earth, the Avengers, and the Supreme Intelligence, but I can’t help but feel it was a little rushed.  I’m not sure if they’re really going to get rid of the Protector for a while or what, but I definitely didn’t like the way the Avengers handled it and especially didn’t like the portrayal of Beast, who is typically the calm, rational, level-headed one.  I guess “singed fur” can drive even super geniuses nuts.  There are better stories to be had and you’re better off just skipping this chapter.

Verdict – Pass

Avengers Assemble #4 was… meh.  Thanos arrives, but he doesn’t do a terrible amount.  He controls Hulk for a while, the Zodiac arrives, and a reveal of the Guardians of the Galaxy at the end to set up the next issue.  For Thanos, you need a whole lot more set up as to just what a badass he is and this issue failed, I think.  It’s a shame, because this series hasn’t been that bad, all things considered.

Verdict – Pass

A vs. X #3.  I’m going to keep this one short.  The action wasn’t up to par with previous weeks, the wit wasn’t there, and I was 1-for-2 in predicting the winners.  Previous weeks have been better and hopefully upcoming weeks will be more like those issues instead of this one.

Verdict – Pass

Batgirl #10 reaffirmed my interest in Gail Simone’s Batgirl title.  I liked seeing Barbara show the human side of the mask and show empathy for the people she’s rescuing.  I know next to nothing about Knightfall, though, so I’m going to be in the dark going forward in this storyline.

Verdict – Recommended

Batman #10.  As Night of the Owls finally winds down, we get a revelation of supposedly Bruce Wayne’s long lost brother who was apparently either born early, stillborn and reanimated, or something along that line, it escapes my mind at the moment.

Verdict – Recommended

Batman and Robin #10.  I can’t help but feel this was a Damian Wayne ego-booster issue and we all know there just hasn’t been enough of that lately.  My sarcasm aside, I enjoyed seeing the different former Robins come together (even if Stephanie Brown is missing), but the focus of the story was Damian and Tim Drake.  I don’t know what they were supposed to accomplish with this issue, especially considering Tim Drake is meant to be featured in a completely different book that I dropped issues ago.  This book has become something of a disappointment following a great opening run as the last two issues I couldn’t bring myself to wholeheartedly recommend and, in this case, I’m going to suggest you just save your money.

Verdict – Pass

Captain America #13 was… pretty forgettable, honestly.  There were some good bits of Henry Gyrich getting his, but nothing else that really stands out.  We get ready for the final showdown between Cap and the new Scourge.  This was just setup, but it wasn’t particularly compelling setup.  I wouldn’t completely write this one off though as the characterization is pretty good, the art is good, and it tells a coherent story.

Verdict – Cautiously Recommended

Deadpool #56.  I am quickly losing patience with Deadpool again.  I thought this book was supposed to be funny.  So why am I not laughing?  It seems they’re trying to change Deadpool up and try to play him more straight, like a genuinely psychotic Moon Knight, and that’s not the way you want to go with Deadpool.  The story of him losing his regeneration powers has potential, but it seems to be wasted here.

Verdict – Pass

Demon Knights #10.  I’m glad to be back with this book and glad to see things are picking up again like they were in the first few issues.  This is one of those titles where I’m in the dark as to all of these characters, so I’m learning as I go, but the team is definitely enjoyable, if not for some personality flaws, but hey, I’m always open to character development.  If you’re not reading this, give it a shot.  You might enjoy it if this is your kind of thing.

Verdict – Recommended

Fantastic Four #607 was one of the standouts in a pretty bad week for comics.  Reed and Sue travel to Wakanda to meet with the Black Panther and Storm about the revival of the inert vibradium, the principal metal of the kingdom.  I like the fact that Reed seems to have taken a step back from being the stuck-up science thumper he was for a while and genuinely acts like a hero and friend to a fellow hero.  It isn’t enough for me to want to give FF another chance outside of choice issues, though.

Verdict – Recommended

Frankenstein:  Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #10 remains one of the standout series of the new DC Universe to me.  We get some good action, some hints of a future Frankenstein/Nina relationship, and good setup for the next issue.  And… that’s about all I want to say.  It was a well done issue for a well done series.  Not one of the best, but I’m enjoying it, especially considering how in the dark I am about the characters as opposed to their old DC Universe counterparts, but unlike Demon Knights, I don’t think it’s a wall here.

Verdict – Recommended

Green Lantern #10.  It was a decent issue that serves as more of a bridge to the next series of events, capping off with the return of Black Lantern Black Hand.  I’m not thrilled with the dark turn the Indigo Tribe took, but I’m not terribly familiar with them, so who knows, maybe this is just something I’m missing from the old DC Universe.  Still a good read with some good character bits from Hal and Sinestro.

Verdict – Recommended

Mega Man #14 continues to suck and wouldn’t be getting my money if I wasn’t a major Mega Man fanboy, but I’ve really lost patience with this book.  It was bad enough they whip through the game arcs, but now Ian Flynn is doing a poor job with the filler arcs.  The villain is severely out of place in the Mega Man universe and the character dynamics aren’t working at all.

Verdict – Pass

The Mighty Thor #15 was a step up from the last issue, but ends completely stupid with a Satanist character being born out of a goth kid’s mind.  If they were trying to appeal to the darker side, the Thor books aren’t really the books to deal with.  But, hey, maybe this will still surprise me.  I don’t know what they have in mind with Donald Blake, but this pattern of two sides of a hero being split apart and the human side getting the royal shafting is really starting to tick me off.  It was bad enough they turned Bruce Banner into a megalomaniacal bat-snap insane villain, but to have Donald Blake crave godhood so much that he’d let himself be seduced by one of Thor’s greatest enemies in the Enchantress, only to have his head chopped off so it can ooze a new god is just… off-putting.  The issue, though, is pretty good overall, but how the two storylines tie together is something I’m not seeing clearly yet.

Verdict – Recommended

X-Men Legacy #268 took a look back at a character I have absolutely no investment or interest in.  Frenzy.  It’s a pretty straightforward story where she explores her past in comparison to events happening around her as an X-Man today.  I can’t say it made me a fan of Frenzy, though, and it certainly has little to do with the Avengers vs. X-Men story, but it wasn’t terrible from what I read.  Maybe my expectations were high just because of last issue’s awesomeness, but this is just me.  Not bad, but not enough to warrant a full recommendation.

Verdict – Cautiously Recommended

And, there you have it.  Another week, another mess of comics.  It wasn’t a particularly thrilling week or one that gave me anything in particular that I was thrilled to have read, but hey, it happens.  It’s just a bummer that it happened with such a heavy week.  There is another big week next week (they tend to happen together for me), but there are also better titles next week, headlined by Daredevil, TMNT, and Ghostbusters.  Hope to see you all then.

Cheers;
Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment