Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Back Stack: Drop Special

Hey everybody.  I want to apologize.  For a couple weeks, I've been teasing an overall Back Stack review in which I'd recount comics I pull every week and tell you my opinion of them.  Well, it ended up with me deciding to drop a large number of comics, primarily from Marvel, particularly as a result of the upcoming Marvel Now relaunch coming up.  Since most of the titles I dropped are going to be cancelled and, since I'm not thrilled with most of the storylines, I'm dropping them prematurely and seriously debating not going back too.

I've also dropped some more than lackluster books from other publishers due to my tastes changing and just an overall disappointment with them.  This is my recap of all the titles I've cut.

The Avengers.  The Avengers is a title that can do great things, but when it gets to these event comics, it becomes an uninteresting mess that adds nothing.  Since Avengers is the forefront title for tie-ins, it interrupts its own pace at the detriment of the reader.  I'd prefer stand-alone mini-series while the comics do their own thing and adapt things afterwards.  Avengers isn't the WORST book by any means, but it's just uninspired sometimes.

A vs. X... got real pointless real fast.  It was just... fighting.  It makes for a good one-shot if you do good fights, such as the fight between Captain America and Gambit, but it just became uninteresting.

Batman & Robin.  It quickly became a Robin book made to make Damian Wayne out to be a badass at the expense of all the other, better characters.  This isn't the type of book I want to read anymore... but I AM considering a trade paperback of those first few epic issues.

Captain America... this was primarily cost-cutting.  Captain America is, by no means, a bad book, but the storyline just wasn't that great, so I dropped it.  If you're interested, go for it, but don't expect epic.

Captain Marvel was actually decent, but that artwork was a KILLER for me.  I'm thrilled that a new book with a female lead is on shelves, but... ugh, that art!  Why do great characters keep getting crap artists?!  It was so much of a distraction, I couldn't let myself get truly into it.  That's a real shame.

Demon Knights.  I've dropped it once already, but this time I think I'm done for good.  The biggest problem is I think that I have zero past familiarity with the characters.  The only character I can say I've really enjoyed is Vandal Savage, but even then I can't say I'm getting really attached.  I picked it up again out of curiosity and it was good for an issue or two, but... meh.  Half cost-cutting here.

The Incredible Hulk.  I hung with this piece of crap because of Greg Pak's epic run with the last run of The Incredible Hulk... this one has been absolutely stupid.  There were some good ideas, but unlike Ian Flynn where it just fizzled and died, this shifted the crank to downright stupid.  I was willing to let this arc play out, but since its conclusion means the end of the series, I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Mega Man.  This had to be done.  Mega Man has downright pissed me off.  It's clear that Ian Flynn has no grasp on the thoughts and themes of Mega Man.  He's relying on dumb memes ("You Can't Defeat Air Man," anyone?), rushing through beloved games, and dumb interludes.  I'm not happy with Ian Flynn, but his work on Mega Man is an insult to my childhood love of the Blue Bomber.

The Mighty Thor.  This one is half cost-cutting, but the impending tie-in with the recently dropped Journey Into Mystery helped me make this decision.  Maybe if it wasn't doing the cross-title multi-chapter story, I'd be more inclined to keep it around, but I'm doing my massive droppings of titles as cost-cutting too.  Thor isn't bad, I'll probably pick it up again at the relaunch.

The New Avengers.  New Avengers is easily the B-book of the Avengers titles and it usually gets treated as such.  However, there IS a certain hart to this title that can't really be denied and there is enjoyment to be had.  Why am I dropping it, then?  Small reason, the most uninspired covers of ANY comic series.  A bunch of standing around and rushing forward.  Big reason?  Inconsistancy.  We can have a mighty fine issue on one hand, but then we get a couple of pointless ones.  Luke Cage is a standout in this series, but... there isn't a whole lot else to say about it.  Again, also cost-cutting.

Supergirl.  Simply put, this got real boring real quickly.  There's... not much else to say about it.  It felt like it was taking up space and stopped being interested.  Simple as that.

Superman.  THIS one is unfortunate.  With the relaunch of the new DC Universe, we saw many heroes lose the majority of their development and Superman was, unfortunately and surprisingly, one of them.  Superman was a character who, for better or worse, was one of the heroes who had a wonderful road of growth, from facing his past to getting married and growing to become truly the Man of Steel.  Now, I'm all for getting to know a new iteration... but that's part of the problem.  I really DON'T know this new Superman and I've given this book enough time to decide who he is.  This is also partially cost-cutting but... the whole retconning of Superman was unnecessary and I can already see we're treading over old territory in a bad way.

So, there you have it.  The books I'm dropping.  To those who do enjoy these titles, I'm sorry, but that's it from me with these, at least for now.  You are under no obligation to drop these yourselves, naturally.  We can have different interests.

Speaking of different interests... that new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic from IDW coming in November?  Yeah.  I'm getting that.

Cheers;
Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment